Wednesday 10 November 2010

A thinking man's parts.

I am happily nursing a restorative cognac after an exhausting day. The trial I was due to start today was resolved when my client offered pleas that were acceptable to the Prosecution although it was intensely stressful getting there.

Today's case was estimated to last 3 weeks but I am now free to spend a day catching up with paperwork in chambers tomorrow. I also have a conference on friday morning at Matrix Chambers. I am looking forward to my first viewing of this hip and trendy chambers and imagine the premises is very plush it having been launched on the back of considerable funding, or so the rumour goes. I believe Cherry Blair QC is a member - something that reflects creditably on the chambers....for some at least, I suppose. The same is no doubt said of my membership at Argent! But love me or loathe me I am thought of as damned good, even by those I am thought of as good as damned! For my part I just like being damned good at being damned good. Which is damned good. Unlike this post which is developing into something no damned good...Damn that good cognac...hic...

Thought crime appears to have moved from the realm of fantasy into shocking reality today according to the news reports I have read about the ruling made by an Italian court in a family divorce matter. It seems that Minority Report was a film more prescient than I had given it credit for because the Italian court granted a husband a divorce because his wife had "thought" about having an affair without ever actually being in any way unfaithful to her husband. Apparently to even think about infidelity is now potentially grounds for divorce! I can only presume the judgement will be strictly interpreted by the courts and no doubt construed as only applying to women. Were this not so, then every Italian stallion from Silvio Burlesconi (surely a thought offender at least once a minute, every minute) downwards would be engaging in cerebral behaviour possibly predicating divorce proceedings? In this situation the courts would immediately be overwhelmed with indignant wives punishing their errant husbands for the thoughts that I am sure occupy the greater part of any thinking man's day. It is axiomatic this must be so, because we know the part any man uses in thinking!

And these musings have got me thinking about the differences between men and women. Yet again I find myself inclined to the view that women are in every regard superior to their baser counterparts, of which I am one....which is why, unbidden, the thought has popped into my head that women are far sexier too....

Having had that Silvio moment I think I best do some work before I am distracted by the thoughts that I have in common with every thinking man!

Finally, and to maintain the theme, a woman much wiser than I once said "We would worry less what people think of us, if we realised how seldom they do". Something to think about....

1 comment:

THE criminal barrister said...

Isn't it just! And in a European democracy too! I have discussed the matter with a number of Italian colleagues and they were universally of the same view - that the judgement was simply astonishing particularly as its ratio appears to be of general application and therefore a development in the law generally rather than a case confined to its own facts. What a thought!